Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mothers' Day Classic, C25K and other stuff.

My parents are away this year for Mothers' Day. Traditionally, we have always spent it together, and it's become quite a special day in the last 11 years of Mothers' Days where I have been a Mum too. This year, however, my parents have gone away for a few weeks and are not going to be here for that day. My kids have informed me that I can choose to do whatever I like - which is pretty big permission coming from young kids lol.....

Yesterday I was on the WW forum and I read a post about the Mothers Day Classic, and thought - what a fabulous idea. I also knew that my dh wouldn't be so excited about it. I read about it, saw pics from previous events, and could imagine myself doing the 7.5km walk, with a view of doing the 4km jog next year - what a great goal to set myself, and also for Billy-Joe to run it with me. Alas my fears were confirmed, dh is far from enthusiastic about the idea. He hasn't even asked me details about it, but he did ask me why I wanted to do it, I said, I thought it'd be fun, it was a great way to raise money, it was something we could all do together, it was different...... So, not to be disheartened, or set back by such disapproval, I decided there would be other events. So I googled to find another. Sure enough there's another in Brisbane later this year, and yes, you guessed it, it's on Fathers Day.....yeah well he's really going to be impressed with that date lol......

I did Week 2, Day 3 on Sunday, on the beach with Billy-Joe. I actually found it quite tough going. We'd done the day before on the Saturday which is against recommendations, but time isn't always my own, so I wanted to make the most of the good weather. I persisted and got through it, and felt awesome when I finished (and that runner's high kicked in!!!) It was hard running in the sand, the tide was fairly high, so hard sand was nowhere to be found. Plus I was pretty aware of not getting the Mizunos wet.

Yesterday I walked to pick up the kids from school, but I took a huge detour so I walked around 5km. I did a strong, fast walk, and my legs were quite sore last night, probably a culmination of exercising hard a few days close together. Today I ran out of time, with housework and visitors, so I gave my legs a good rest. I will do the long walk again tomorrow. I want to increase my fitness, and increase the speed of my weight loss. I feel strong when I finish my sessions - quite empowered.

Another fantastic benefit is the fact that it's something Billy-Joe and I enjoy doing together. That's why I thought entering a race, (fun run) type event would be a really cool goal for us to work toward. I will just keep my eyes and ears open and see what's happening in the future. I don't hold any plans of winning any events, but I just want the satisfaction of actually competing and completing an event.

No comments: