Saturday, May 3, 2008

Work, Polar and Cohort

After a full on week last week, I was ecstatic that I had no work on this week. Last week was an interesting scenario but a very good one.

I started one morning, with about 50 pairs of expectant eyes upon me: my students, parent helpers and the special needs aide. I was a teacher down and a parent helper down, it it wasn't even 9am!! It's strange how one reacts to situations. I often think of myself as being a bit on the ditzy side, and someone who stresses easily. I am beginning to learn about myself that that is not the case.

I thought, okay, I am a teacher and a parent helper down, this is going to take me a while, but I will get it sorted. The routine of the classroom is a tricky one, and for the newbie - not easy to follow (and at that point, that included me). I'd organized the kids into their reading groups, the principal arrived and informed me that the replacement teacher was on his way. Okay, now I only have to split myself two ways instead of three. I settled down the kids, and started teaching two groups - praise God that I am quite adept at a multi skilled setting, so even though this was pain staking, it was certainly workable. The other teacher arrived, I gave him a quick introduction, told him my name, and said here are your kids. Take over from the principal and we will muddle through the day. He had a glazed look on his face, a look that can only ever be on someone who has been thrown in at the deep end. The first session is over and I learn that the man is on his first day - ever!! It was second break before I realized the poor man hadn't even been for a pee!!! So I directed him to the toilets and talked to him some more. I was on my own. He was another body, that was useful for looking after kids, but wasn't really in a situation to take any weight off my shoulders. When, in mid session the kids didn't rotate as they should have, I realized that I needed to just take over - and just run it my way. I don't like treading on toes - so did this delicately. The next day, I just timetabled the day, told him what he had to do, and we had a good day. By Thursday, we had a few slots unplanned for so I asked him to think of some activities to do, as Anzac Day was approaching, we decided to work with that.

He arrived on Thursday morning with some awesome ideas, and asked me for my help. He knew my organizational skills were strong, and would I co-ordinate the whole thing. I am all for working with one's strengths. I thought it was a great plan.

We had the best day on the Thursday. I put the kids into their groups, gave them their tasks, and we set off on our project. We made a shrine, covered with pictures and coloured in poppies. We also made a wreath, with a 'Lest We Forget' banner across it. The kids were stoked. It was the focal point of our Anzac Day Ceremony which was held at the end of the day. I was exhausted from that week, but felt great that it all came together really well.

Rebel Sports had a 25% off all day sale on Thursday, if you presented an RACQ card. I had to work, so thought I would probably miss out. Thankfully the manager was really helpful and asked that if I faxed down everything he would put the sale through for me. I am the proud new owner of a Polar F4 HRM watch, the red one.....so cool. It's my Mothers Day present, so I am not supposed to know that I am getting it. The store manager on the Friday told me that if I bought other stuff he would give me the 25% off as well. I bought another pair of walking pants and some new tops, and I also got Billy-Joe a really good pair of Fila running shoes.

I will publish this now and then update tomorrow.

No comments: